Saturday, April 14, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country that I chose my family coming from is Finland.

Five ways in which you will prepare yourself to be culturally responsive towards this family

    • Look up information on Finland on the internet
    • Talk to the family
    • Try to connect with people from Finland
    • Check out books that have information on Finland
    • Figure out the language and learn key words

I think that by working through these five steps, I will be able to set up a classroom that is inviting to the new family. My goal would to also make sure that the child feels at ease and can relate to materials in the classroom. By looking up information, I can learn about the country and find posters and books to put in the classroom. By talking to the family, I can learn what they expect for their children and what they expect out of the school. Before the family comes, I would plan to see if there were people in the area from Finland. That way I can use them as a resource and hopefully connect the family with them so that they have someone to relate to. I also think that learning key phrases will help the child transition from their home language to English. This should also help build a connection with the child.

3 comments:

  1. Charlotte,
    I love your idea about learning key words! This will definitely allow you to communicate more with the family as well as show them how important their culture is! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, I like your idea of learning key phrases. I chose that as one of my preparations as well. I also like the idea of finding someone else from the same country as the family. Sometimes that can help when transitioning to a new place. It can make them feel less alone and disconnected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great ideas on how to prepare yourself with more knowledge about Finland. I agree with you that the more information we as educators learn about the home countries of our incoming students, the better it is for all parties involved. It is always important to make our classrooms/child cares welcoming to all members of the family. By doing this I believe the transition into the new environment will be a successful one.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete