Thursday, November 22, 2012

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level


This week we were to look for national/federal organizations that we would want to be a part of. The first organization that came to mind is the National Association for the Education of Young Children, NAEYC. I chose this organization because it is their information that I always come across when doing research on the early childhood field. The NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children, n.d.) “Is the world’s largest organization working on behalf of young children with nearly 80,000 members, a national network of more than 300 state and local Affiliates, and a growing global alliance of like-minded organizations.” I couldn’t really find any job opportunities but it seems that there is an abundance of things to do and work towards.

 

The next organization that I looked into was LearnNow. This organization is based on getting people together to work towards a common cause. Their mission is:

To better prepare children for a dramatically changing world, LearnNow presents evidence-based information as the basis for sound decision-making in ways that can help build an online community to help answer questions and demystify some of the challenges involved in raising, caring for and nurturing children. (LearnNow, 2012)

People involved in their organization are professors, neuroscientists, parents, psychologists, and many others. Once again, I couldn’t find any job opportunities but saw that there were an abundance of people on three different advisory boards. I chose this organization though because it doesn’t just look towards educators but to the whole community to help with advocating for children.

 

The final organization that I looked into was the Alliance for Childhood. I chose this organization because they are working towards getting children away from televisions and computers along with reducing the amount of high-stakes tests that children have to take. Their mission statement is to:

Promote policies and practices that support children’s healthy development, love of learning, and joy in living. Our public education campaigns bring to light both the promise and the vulnerability of childhood. We act for the sake of the children themselves and for a more just, democratic, and ecologically responsible future. (Alliance for Childhood, n.d.)

They have professors, directors, and CEOs of other companies that are a part of their board of trustees. There is also a person who is just in charge of communications with other organizations.

 

References:

Alliance for Childhood. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.allianceforchildhood.org/

LearnNow. (2012). From research to the real world. Retrieved from http://www.learnnow.org/

National Association for the Education of Young Children. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.naeyc.org/

6 comments:

  1. Charlotte the organizations you picked seems like all great organizations. I am familiar with NAEYC however Alliance for CHildhoos I was not. I checked out the website and I saw valuable information that will be helpful in my resource binder.

    Great information,

    Thanks
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting organizations. I of course heard of NAEYC throughout my research and travels as well but I have not heard of the other ones. Thank you for the educational post. Hope it helped you as well. Good luck in your continued search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte,
    Thank you for the wonderful resources especially the Alliance for Childhood. It looks like it is a great organization, I will definetely use their website as a resource for me and the families that I work with. I like their mission and goals "working towards getting children away from televisions and computers along with reducing the amount of high-stakes tests that children have to take". I think this is great and we all need to work toward reducing TV time and provide chidlren with better childhood experiences other than wasting their times watching TV and playing computer games. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled that you poted Alliance for Childhood. I think that our children are spending an excessive amount of time on the computer and watching televsion. Each one can be potentially harmful if you allow them to teach your children. In today's society, the television and the computers are racing the children because the parents are away. As for reducing the high stakes testing. I wish that they would because the tests seem to be stressing the children out more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making me aware of LearnNow. I think its great to read about an organization on line that supports families. I have been involved in several support groups online and they can have really been beneficial to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte I enjoyed reading about your organization both known and unknown. It is great to know as professionals that so many resources are available for us to depend on that provide useful information about the positive socialization it provides for children and families. Thanks for sharing that post.

    ReplyDelete