Friday, November 25, 2011

Sharing Web Resources 2

The one section that I wanted to point out to everyone is the Policy Priorities: Ending Child Poverty at http://www.childrensdefense.org/policy-priorities/ending-child-poverty/index.html#hard_times. This page tells the stories of children in poverty. The stories that I looked at talked about how some of these families were middle class and now are having troubles putting food on the table. Other stories talk about running out of government support which has reduced some families into homelessness. We have been talking about poverty for the last few weeks but these stories have truly put everything in perspective for me.

The main thing about The Children’s Defense Fund is that they are always contacting politicians to make changes. They also encourage others to contact their representatives and take action.  They give advice on how to contact your representatives and give links to different issues that need support. This is where you can find the information http://www.childrensdefense.org/take-action/advocacy-that-works/.

I think that one of the major insights that I have realized while looking through this site, is that early childhood is the start of it all. If we find ways to help educate our young children, they will have fewer problems as they get older. CDF focuses on the delinquents and teens that are getting into trouble because they are not given the support that they need. We need to start making changes to our education so that every child is given the chance to succeed.

5 comments:

  1. Like you said, helping the children when they are young is essential in making a change for the future. Becoming an "active" advocate for our children is also essential. I love the organizations that give examples of specific things you can do to help, because often we don't know where to start in order to tackle such great challenges that our field is currently facing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also using the Children's Defense Fund as a resource. I was very impressed with how proactive the organization is with advocating for the rights of children. I am also realizing that the earlier the interventions the better, it is wonderful to see that the CDF respects and understands this and does everything they can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlette,
    it is true we need to start in early childhood. I sometimes think we need to start before birth, with the families and maybe even in the high schools. Everyone who wants to raise a family need to understand their children need a strong foundation starting with a healthy mother. Thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte –
    I believe that poverty is awful in its existence I find it even more frustrating, that the numbers of individuals who are experiencing poverty continues to grow. Reading the stories of the people affected is so sad and upsetting. I can personally say that there have been times, in my life when we didn’t have running water because; my parents were having financial issues. Life is full of challenges and we should be able to help eliminate poverty a bridge the financial gaps.
    Thank you for such great information,
    Schlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. CDF is one of my favorite resources to look at so I am delighted that you took the time to share this information with all of us. Poverty is such a huge problem but it creates so much opportunity for us to share resources and become more invested in our communities and essentially allow us to focus on what we have rather than what we don't. I look at this information as a way to motivate myself to become more informed about what is available to those in the community that I live in and elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete