Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sharing Web Resources - Week 6

While exploring The Children’s Defense Fund’s (CDF) website I found a link that took me to Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM) found at http://www.aim.ca.gov/Home/.  This website is set up to inform expecting mothers of their benefits in California. “AIM is for middle-income families who don’t have health insurance and whose income is too high for no-cost Medi-Cal.” There are many benefits that are covered through AIM like prenatal and postnatal care. This website is all about keeping a mother and baby healthy so that they have a good start. Once the baby is born, they are automatically enrolled for insurance so that their healthy start can continue. I really liked seeing programs like this out there for expectant mothers. Many feel like they can’t afford to go get the prenatal care that they need, but programs like this help.

While looking at The Children’s Defense Fund’s newsletter I found out that as of November 7th the “U.S. Census Bureau released its first report using the new Supplemental Poverty Measure (SPM)” (http://cdf.childrensdefense.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=25802.0&dlv_id=0). The SPM was designed to take care of some problems with existing official poverty measures and found that child poverty is declining. CDF states that this is due to the federal programs like the Earned Income Tax Credit and food stamps. As CDF states though, in no way does this mean that our children are suffering less. We need to still support the basic needs of our children and still fight for their rights.

This week we have been talking about accessibility, affordability, availability, and equity for our children. CDF has a program that runs after school and all summer long that works with children. The program is set up to teach children about their culture, reading, writings, and expressing themselves in a safe place. One of the students mentioned that it was nice to walk into the school in the morning and see all the smiling faces from children of all ages. They have breakfast as a community along with a sharing time where everyone is dancing, singing, and cheering. They also have a designated time throughout the day where everyone has to drop everything and read (D.E.A.R). All the teachers and students sit down for fifteen minutes of quiet time and read a book.

My new insight for this week is this program. I had no idea that something like this existed in my area. I would have thought that my undergraduate studies would of encouraged us to take part in this over the summer since it is right down the street from the university. They have interns which are college students who teach the classes. One teacher said at the beginning of the year she had children complaining that they had to write a story or a letter. But by the end of the year, her school mailbox was filled with letters from her students. There needs to be more programs like this to help our children by giving them a safe place to learn and grow outside of school.

3 comments:

  1. Charolette –
    The information from the Children’s Defense Fund never seizes to amaze me. I agree I think that the programs like that one in California needs to be offered to all expecting mothers. Becoming a mother, regardless of how many children you have is very stressful and joyous in the same breath. Health care is the difference between, diagnoses of potentially fatal yet treatable conditions. I personally find it very sad that people, who do not fall into the correct poverty range, are denied services even when the medical services are more than they can afford.
    I also, commend you on wanting to become more involved in the local programs. It is very interesting that as an undergrad student you were not aware of this wonderful program so very close.
    Thank you,
    Schlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Access for Infants and Mothers (AIM)" program seems like a fabulous program. It is nice to see a program that targets the middle class who need additional assistance.

    I am also a fan of the DEAR time in schools, although I often see teachers using this as a prep time. During DEAR time when the students are reading, it is essential for the teachers to read also. I remember doing this with my students. The first day we started, some of the students were shocked to see that I read. I had one child ask me why, because to her reading was something children were made to do, and she had never done it for pleasure.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea that moms to be who are middle class can get help to keep herself and her unborn child healthy. I believe there is a program like that where I live. Our schools also have 'DEAR'. I like it because it gives children an opportunity to read and to have some down time.

    ReplyDelete