Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Family Culture: Week 2

After thinking for quite some time, I realized that the three items that I would want to take was easy. The first item would be my family recipe book. Each card has a recipe that has been passed down from both sides of my family. This recipe book is of very importance to me since it holds all of the comfort foods that I am used to. It will make me feel like I am home even in a new place. The second item that I would bring is a picture of my extended family. Family is very important to us and we get together at least once a month to see everyone. Family would be the thing that I would miss the most. I know that my immediate family would be with me, but when it comes to my family our extended family might as well be our immediate family. This picture would remind me of the times that we have had together and to make sure that I can show pride in who I am with this picture. The third item that I would bring is my rosary beads that have been passed down for generations. The rosary would show the importance of our religion to others and that it is something that our family holds close to our hearts.

If I was told that I could only keep one item that I brought, it would be pretty hard for me to handle. The fact that my family would be with me, would help with this realization. I can always remember my family and the way things were so I don't think it would be too hard to give up the picture. To choose between the recipe book and the rosary would be the worse. Both things mean so much to our family that and to me, that it would be hard to let them go.

Due to this exercise I realized that the most important thing about my family culture is my family. I think the hardest part about something like a catastrophe would be that I would not see most of my family again. My cousins are like sisters and brothers to me, and the thought of them not being around is upsetting. When I think about describing my family to others and the beliefs that we have, I think that it centers around our openness to each other and our love for food! I can't think of a time when we have gotten together, that there wasn't an abundance of food and people sitting around the tables eating and laughing.

4 comments:

  1. Charlotte, I enjoyed your post..family is so important to our everyday occurances..I agree how fun it is to celebrate family with good food and interactions...how often we take that for granted..Thanks for sharing..Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte,

    I loved the realness of your post. You are right family is the most important part of family culture. I enjoyed reading about the items that are near and dear to you. In our every day life we get so focused on the things that are of value money wise but when it comes down to it, the most important things are usually those that have no resell value! And even if they are worth something, the worth is not important to us it is there meaning. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your post! I agree 100% Material objects can always be replaced at some point - our loved ones cannot. The memories we have will always be with us and we can pass these on through our stories and memories. Not having my family would be the worse possible thing to happen. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have very similar cultural items that mean a lot to us! There are many things we can remember through memory, but having a tangible item always helps to trigger more vivid memories. My husband's grandfather often holds onto items, which bothers his grandmother. But these items are amazing to us.....his blanket from Kindergarten, his boy scout uniform, and his mother's wedding gown she wore on the night she got married. Knowing how much history is behind these items, and how it connects us (and our children) to past generations is so amazing! Someday I am sure these items will be ours, and we will continue ot share thse items with future generations.

    ReplyDelete