Friday, March 23, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

In my previous place of employment, there were many examples of microaggression that happened if not daily, at least weekly. We all got along very well but there was definitely times were there was a divide between the races. One example of microaggression was when a coworker would say that it was okay for the other coworkers to be late because that is the time that “their” people run off of. This microinsult was out of frustration for this coworker, who was always on time, and had to wait for another coworker to show up so she could leave. She assumed that just because the person was black, that they would always be late because they have their own time. What this coworker didn’t take into account was the home life of the other person and never considered that something could be causing this to happen.

Another example of microaggression happened to me while I was working in the same place. The cook of our daycare came barging into the office, where I was at, and asked, “What is that thing called that you people put on your table as a centerpiece for Thanksgiving?” Do you know what it is? At the time, I had no clue what it was and confused that he thought that “my people” use it all the time as a center piece. The feelings that rushed through me were ones of frustration and confusion. I felt like I lost some of my self-esteem because I was being categorized by what he saw in a magazine.

While observing people this week and thinking back on my own experiences, I realize that stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination is all around me. It doesn’t happen with just race or religion, but with the way we dress or the size of clothes we wear. There are people out there that will look for something to discriminate against, and I believe that is because they are not happy with themselves. They need to put others down so that they can have the power that they may never have any other way.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the examples in your post. They gave a great picture of microinsults. I also agree with your conclusion that someone wanting to have power over another is often the reason for episodes of microagression. There is also that sense of superiority that is revealed in those kinds of remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I too aggree that these microaggressions can be a desire for power. I thought it was very interesting to find out that the unintended microaggressions were the ones that can be so harmful. Unintended microaggressions go so deep and really hit home for the victim. For me, I can see this through experience. When someone is clearly intending to say harmful things to me I know it is out of anger or a power struggle. It is easier for me to brush those things off and move on. It's the ones that are unintended that I often sit around thinking about, wondering, "what did she/he mean by that? Is that really true?" It can be so frustrating and demeaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree when you said that there are people out there who are just looking for a reason to show negativity towards another person. From my observations this week, it can be anything (i.e. but not limited to, the manufacturer of the car a person drives, who should buy the house for sale next door to me, religious views, race, and abilities). I have a really diverse mix of children in my child care and every now and then a parent will say something inadvertently about how one of the children is dressed in reference to the family’s financial capability to take care of their children. This is mainly because the family is on a voucher for child care and currently has an open case with the Department of Social Services. Everyone has opinions but we need to be careful how we communicate to others. Hurting others, even unintentionally, is never good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your examples on microagressions. Unintentional remarks give a negative feeling of prejudice and bias, without any understanding of one indivuduality. I agree micoagression can reflect in many forms of life. Great post.

    ReplyDelete