Friday, May 4, 2012

Competent Communication – Week 1


When thinking of the people that I know and the people I see on television or hear on the radio, there are a few that demonstrate being a competent communicator. The person that stands out the most is my cousin, Jimmy. He is someone who can talk about anything with anyone and connects with that person and that topic. Some behaviors that I have noticed were constant eye contact, facial expressions, and a feeling of that he cares about what you are saying. He also can talk in ways that help people understand what he is saying. There were many times he would be trying to help me fix my car, and the way he explained things made complete sense! I know that he is a great communicator because he is a great salesman with a good rapport with all of his clients. He is also someone who can listen to what someone is saying, and completely understand and relate to that person.


I would definitely want to model some of my own communication models after him. There are times when I talk that I know I am not making sense to others, and I wish I had his way of talking. I also am someone who has a problem keeping eye contact with people, even though I am listening, and would love for it to come naturally like it does for my cousin.


This is a picture of Jimmy and I at his sister's wedding.






5 comments:

  1. I have trouble with those same issues too. That is great that you have a family member that explains things well, I have a hard time understanding my brother when he's explaining what he does for a living. Does your cousin have any tips? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said many characteristics about your cousin Jimmy that exhibit great communication skills such as he listens, helping others to understand, great rapport, facial expressions, and caring. One of the most important things you said was that he connects with who he is talking to! Connecting to who you are talking to allows that person to see that you truly care. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past I had trouble looking in a persons eye when communicating with them until my mother told me that looking into a person eyes tell a lot, and let's them know you are interested in what they are saying even when you may not be.I have gotten better one thing that helps me is to practice in the mirror looking myself in the eye when talking( I'm not nuts) but I do feel silly sometimes epecially when my granddaughter come's in and ask if Im ok.I am getting better! Keep practicing and it will come easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the key ingredients to listening is exactly what you say that Jimmy has. It is that he cares about what you are saying. This is a wonderful quality. Sometimes I come across someone who seems not to listen to anything that I say, and I have to explain myself over and over. But other times you meet someone who is a great listener and really shows that they truly care about what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte,
    I could definitely relate to your issue with eye contact while communicating as well. I think I'm naturally a more shy person and that's always been a hardship for me even throughout school, as I think almost too hard about how others are perceiving me. It's a skill that I've constantly been working on and now in my role in early childhood administrator I've realized the importance of upholding effective communication skills with children, parents, and educators.
    It;s great that you have someone to admire and learn from his skills in your own communication.

    ReplyDelete