Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cultural Communication


Thinking back to how I communicated with others and comparing it to how I communicate now, I would say that there have some changes by not much. I have learned to pay more attention to nonverbal cues which has helped me to assess how the person is feeling. I have found this to be very important because I have noticed more things about the people around me.

Learning about the Platinum Rule this week, has really made me start looking back on certain situations and realizing that this rule could have helped. My sister-in-law and I do not agree on much and I always complain to my husband about how she always expects to get her way and never really sees other people’s opinions. What I have learned this week is that I need to take a moment and assess the situation that I am in. She was raised with being able to do whatever she wanted and is now basically in charge of their mother. I have to remember when talking to her, that this is the way she was raised and to see how her point of view works for her. We are heading over there today, so we will see how that goes!

Finally, I have learned to listen more and to not let my attention wander. I can be a great listener, but when it comes to things that I do not care about or have no idea what is being talked about, I have a hard time staying tuned in. I have been working on this, and trying to pay more attention as people are talking about things that I “go over my head.” It has be interesting to see what I have been missing, and the new information that I have been learning.

4 comments:

  1. You have definitely started practicing some of these great communication skills that we have learned such as watching for nonverbal cues, the Platinum Rule, and being present when listening. These are great ones to practice, and very important! It is good to see you are looking at the situation with your sister-in-law differently due to this week's studies. I agree with the Platinum Rule and think it is great, but I do find it hard in some situations. There are situations when the behavior the person is exhibiting is something they grew up with, but it negatively affecting others or isn't acceptable behavior. That is when it is more difficult for me, but I guess putting yourself in their shoes allows you to see the "why" behind what they are doing. That doesn't mean you have to accept it. Great post Charlotte!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte,
      I completely agree that considering the cultural differences of others absolutely involves how we put ourselves into their perspective and attempt to perceive their emotions and needs, and our use of the Platinum, or as I grew up with, the Golden Rule. We can discuss ways to improve our communication and how we could relate them to our work in early childhood education numerous times, but we have the opportunity to sue our learned skills in our work every day and it sounds like you are taking those opportunities to use and develop your skills!

      Delete
  2. Charlotte,

    I think that we all have a problem listening to things that are not interesting to us. I find my self at times drifting away when someone else is talkinng nonsense. I find this happening more to me with my children. I have gotton to the point where I tune them out when they are talking crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte,

    I think we all have progressed in learning to pay attention to nonverbal cues because they definitely say a lot about someone. I, too, can be easily distracted or disinterested in things that are not familiar to me or not exciting. It is great that you are eqipping yourself to have a better communicative relationship with your sister in law, but I feel in turn that she should give you that very same respect. I enjoyed reading your post and have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete