Saturday, May 26, 2012

Evaluation


This week we evaluated ourselves on our effectiveness of communicating with others. Then we asked two people to evaluate us and compare the results. What I found most surprising was that out of the three different tests, only one came back that was different than my evaluation. The one that was different came from my mother who only sees me interact with my family. I found the results surprising because I had not really thought about the things that she was saying. The verbal aggressiveness test (Verbal aggressiveness scale, n.d.) was the evaluation that she had a different score for and I could see why she ranked me so high.
 
What I learned from this is that I really need to pay attention to how I respond to my family. I do great when I am with someone I don’t know or with someone who is not family. Looking back, I realized I do criticize my brother in a personal way because that is how he is with me. Growing up with it, I guess I just learned how to fire back at him so that I did not feel powerless around him. What I take from this knowledge is that my personal life does not interfere with my professional life, and I am able to communicate differently with everyone that I come into contact with.
 
Another insight that I gained in general from this week is that stereotypes do not play a huge role in my life. With the picture, it was very hard for me to answer the questions and to judge that person. I think that I have become this way, because I surround myself with a variety of people. This will definitely help me in my professional life since I will not be quick to judge the children and families that walk into my classroom.

References:
Verbal aggressiveness scale. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6165/04/mm/quiz/quiz_verbal/index.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte,
    It's interesting that your mother rated you differently on your communication styles. My mother did not do an evaluation for me, but I do communicate differently with my family and I think she would have given me different scores. She probably would have rated me higher for verbal aggressiveness because we get into our share of arguments plus she does not see how I communicate in other situations. These evaluations show us the importance of communicating respectfully with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte, It is interesting how your mother rated you like that. I actually asked my mother to evaluate me as well and I got similar results, however my friend who did the other evaluation, did not see the "aggressive" side of me when it came to my verbal skills. I'm sure it's because with family, the closer you are to people the less you edit yourself or hold back when it comes to your behavior. It is good to know that others received similar feedback from their mothers (or relatives). ;) Also I like how you mentioned how your personal life did not effect your professional life within the evaluation results, I did not see it like that but I see that holds true with my findings as well. Thank you for sharing your insights, it helped me too!

      Delete
  2. Charlotte,
    I didn't have too much difference between my evaluations either. I wasn't too surprised, but think, as you mentioned, that it really does depend on who you have evaluate you, whether it be a family member, friend, colleague, etc. I liked your paragraph about how you feel that you're more critical of your brother than you would be with other people that you don't know as well. I do that too, especially with my husband and family members that I'm so comfortable with that I might not consider my behavior or words as I would with a stranger or professional colleagues.

    ReplyDelete